There is no evidence to suggest that farts kill brain cells. After all, farts are pretty much made up of methane. Imagine how braindead cattle-farmers would be after being around all those farting cows all day if farts really did kill brain cells!
On the contrary, holding in farts can actually be pretty detrimental to your health. Some of the minor ailments of trapped gas include indigestion, bloating, and heartburn, while more major issues such as increased blood pressure and heart rate may also occur.
Holding gas in every so often won't do you any harm, so I'm not advocating that you start passing wind in enclosed spaces unless you really have to. At the same time, you shouldn't always hold gas in as you may experience some pretty nasty side effects.
Interesting facts about farts
- The average person will pass gas around 15 times per day.
- Women fart just as much as men, although they'll rarely tell you that this is true.
- The Yanomami tribe from South America consider farting a greeting.
- Farts are flammable, and have been known to cause burns to people trying to set them on fire.
- People who hold their farts in all day tend to release them all when they sleep.