Anonymous

They say that kids should not lift something that is very heavy, as it could cause back injury or stunted growth. Would lifting something very heavy just one time be safe? Or will that result in injury to the kid?

5

Willie B. good Profile
Willie B. good answered

Well that's an old wives tale, no Studies have ever been shown that lifting weights stunts or inhibits growth. So stop listening to They because they don't know crap!!

Call me Z Profile
Call me Z answered

That old yarn is more to protect children from serious injury. Lifting heavy items safely involves a certain amount of care, strength and technique.

It isn’t reasonable to expect children to know these things. It isn’t worth the worst case scenario coming to fruition.

Mountain  Man Profile
Mountain Man answered

Kids as well as adults should use their legs instead of their backs to lift heavy objects. An injury is a possibility but not a guarantee from lifting the wrong way . I've never heard of stunted growth from lifting heavy objects.

Sam Sanj
Sam Sanj commented
I know a 10 year old boy who just for fun, physically lifted.pick up his friend off the ground who weighs more than him. I am just worried that he damaged his back doing this, or is the likelihood of this happening low, since he only did it once?
PJ Stein
PJ Stein commented
If he injured his back you would know right away. At that age my brothers and their friends would wrestle each other. Sometimes one of them would lift the other, and no one was seriously injured. Or since we grew up in a wooded area we climbed trees. We often boosted each other up in trees. We were all fine.

Lifting something heavy will not stunt growth. Lifting something that is heavy can injure people of any age if not done properly. Depending on the age and coordination of the child lifting can be done safely. I wouldn't expect a toddler to safely lift anything of any significant weight. A preteen on the other hand could within reason.

Sam Sanj
Sam Sanj commented
Darren Wolfgang Profile
Darren Wolfgang answered

Kids can safely lift adult-size weights, as long as the weight is light enough. In most cases, one or two sets of 12 to 15 repetitions is all it takes. The resistance doesn't have to come from weights, either. Resistance tubing and body-weight exercises, such as pushups, are other effective options.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/tween-and-teen-health/in-depth/strength-training/art-20047758

Can weight lifting stunt a child's growth?

All of these activities require heavy muscular effort, but DO NOT STUNT GROWTH. As a matter of fact, kids in elementary school can safely and effectively lift weights to promote health and build strength. Yes, it's downright good for them! ... So stop worrying about stunting your child's growth

http://www.transforminghealth.org/stories/2014/08/will-your-child-stunt-their-growth-if-they-lift-weights.php

Anonymous