For How Long Does A Bee/wasp Sting Itch?

10

10 Answers

Daniel Pountney Profile
Daniel Pountney answered
A bee or wasp sting will usually itch and be uncomfortable for about an hour after the sting occurs. You may feel some discomfort for up to 2-3 hours after this but the pain and itch should subside and will usually feel like a dull ache around the area that was stung. It has been reported that the stung area could itch for up to a week afterwards. If this is the case, you can apply baking soda to the affected area to help ease the itching. Mix the baking soda with a small amount of water and apply liberally.
After you have been stung, you should carefully inspect the area to ensure that the sting has not been left in the skin. This can often happen with bees and the sting must be removed immediately, preferably with tweezers. The venom is poisonous and some people are allergic to stings and they result in a serious allergic reaction. 40 deaths every year are reported in the US due to allergies to bee or wasp stings as some people have overly sensitive immune systems which cannot cope with the poison from the insect. Multiple stings can be extremely dangerous for the victim and most deaths will occur within the first hour after the sting occurs. This emphasises how important it is to get the victim to hospital or some medical attention immediately if they start showing any symptoms of having an allergy to the sting. Small children, the weak and the elderly are also at risk of having medical complications following a sting and it is recommended that a person is taken to hospital if they are stung in the mouth or throat area as it can restrict their breathing if swelling occurs.
Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
I got stung about a week and a half ago by a red wasp inside my house at night. I stepped on it and boy did it hurt. After the pain subsided, the itching started and it still itches only in the middle of the night though. Can someone tell me how to stop the itching? I have used all kinds of over the counter medications.
thanked the writer.
Anonymous
Anonymous commented
I got stung several times in one area recently, and after the burning sensation subsided eight or so hours later, the itching and swelling got worse. I tried using the baking soda and water paste, and it helped, but not a lot. I think the best thing I've done for it was dunking it in ice water for a few hours. Anyone know how long the pain/itch/swelling last? It's good to get advice on how to know what stung you and how to treat it, but part of the original question hasn't been answered yet.
Moe Pence Profile
Moe Pence answered
First, take something small and thin (like a credit card) and gently scrape over the sting area to make sure that there is no longer a stinger in there.  Try not to pull it out with tweezers or fingers, but if that is the only way to get it out, then do it.  Then use an antihistimine like Benedryl on the area.  If the area is swollen (that sometimes goes on for 24 hours), put an ice pack on it.  IMPORTANT!!:  If you suspect any one of these people is having an allergic reaction (short of breath, welts or hives on the skin, intense redness or itching) get them to an emergency room as quickly as possible.
Sometimes calamine lotion will help ease the slight itching that non-allergic people get.
Hope all 4 of them feel better tomorrow.
Moe
Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
Take benadryl for any itching and possible allergic reaction along with something for pain. Then make a paste out of baking soda and water and apply it directly to the sting and leave it on there until it dries. If you do not have backing soda apply mud as the idea of it is to pull the poisons out as it dries.
Jacquelyn Mathis Profile
It should be easing up now. If you get stung like this again, use a paste that you can make with baking soda and a pinch of water, apply it to the sting, and it will take away most of the itch, and will help it to heal better. Hope this helps, good luck.
Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
I got a wasp and hornet sting 4 days ago and it still hurts itches and is swollen but I'm a little bit allergic to hornets so but they will hurt for about a week
Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
Well I got stung by wasp 8 times yesterday and it hurt sooo much but when I but ice it did the trick
Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
I got stung by a bee a few weeks ago, and it did not itch. So I am guessing if your bite or sting is not a bee sting. Were you outside when this happened, or were you inside? That would help quite a bit, if you were inside it might have been a spider, and if you were outside and it was not a bee it might have been maybe a fire ant?
thanked the writer.
Anonymous
Anonymous commented
Hi Cappa - thanks for responding. I was outside when it happened and standing up. Unfortunately my attention was on my camera and I only felt the sting and saw something fly away. I assumed it was a bee because there were bees on the beach, but I'm not sure. What did your sting look like? Mine is a small red circle with a white dot (not pus) and then an obvious puncture. I wonder if the rash on my arm is a localized allergic reaction, but I'm freaked out that it will get infected. I haven't been stung by a bee since I was very little and have nothing to compare it to.
Anonymous
Anonymous commented
Well if you were outside than it was probably a bee, but a beach near my city has these horseflys or something that bite ,and its kinda like a bee sting . You said there was no stinger left right? Well consider that. My sting swelled a bit and was red, I did not look what the puncture point looked like tho. If you were stung by a bee before you are immune to the sting now , so it is not a allergic reaction to the bee sting.

Answer Question

Anonymous