Anonymous

How long does it take for swelling to go down after a bee sting? My husband got stung two days ago in his hand and it's still extremely swollen.

4 Answers

Dr. Suzi Turner Profile
Dr. Suzi Turner answered

It sounds as if your husband is having an allergic reaction to the sting. Swelling is one of the body's defense mechanisms to protect itself. Sometimes it just has to run its course. Baking soda, mixed with a little water, may help. He may also want to take extra Vitamin D, which is known to be a natural steroid. 

Arthur Wright Profile
Arthur Wright , Florida Paralegal with a BS degree in Social-Psychology, answered

While the Dr is right about being an allergic reaction to it, you may want to see your Dr for it. Benadryll helps and swelling may take several days to go down,   but seeing your own DR is very important here and try not to get stung a 2nd time as now it could be fatal.  This is that serious.  Good luck

Poppy O'Hair Profile
Poppy O'Hair answered

Once I had a bee sting. It was on my elbow. It swelled for a few hours, then went back down. If your husband is having problems, he might be having some kind of Allergic Reaction! Now, here's a little Native American remedy for bee stings. Apply FRESH MUD or an onion to the bee sting.

Sara Lewis Profile
Sara Lewis answered

Getting stung by a bee (or any other stinging beast for that matter) is a painful business, and although it can just be sore for a an hour or so before going away, this is not always the case, and really does depend on how the individual's body reacts.

Reactions vary from mild irritation to loss of consciousness, or even death - but don't worry, severe reactions occur very rapidly, so if it's been a couple of days then it sounds as though your husband's reaction, whilst painful, is nothing to worry about.

Swelling at the site of the sting is described as a 'moderate' reaction, which usually heal themselves over a period of 5 to 10 days. What's interesting is that the swelling doesn't always come up immediately, and can occur- and enlarge - over a period of a day or so.

If the swelling, and any other symptoms, do not go away after 10 days, then definitely make an appointment with a GP, but otherwise I would just treat the irritation and be patient. It's probably worth having a chat with a pharmacist to see what kind of treatment they suggest too.

Answer Question

Anonymous