What Is Cholesterol?


2 Answers

Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
It is a waxy substance found in animal food and is related to fat. It is just as high in some lean foods as it is in fatty foods.
Cholesterol plays a very important role in some body functions. It is a form of fat that the body needs in the enzyme system and in the manufacture of hormones.
The body can produce all the cholesterol it needs and does not require the cholesterol we eat in animal foods
Where there are advantages of cholesterol to body with it comes some of its drawback. Anything taken in excess is harmful for the normal functioning of the body. A high level of blood cholesterol is a clear sign of a raised risk of heart attack and stroke. It has been shown that in a minority, blood cholesterol increases when the foods rich in cholesterol such as liver, eggs and shellfish are eaten. However in most people the cause of raised blood cholesterol level is an unbalanced diet. The most effective way to reduce raised cholesterol level is to reduce the intake of saturated fat. In addition, stop smoking, try to lose weight and get regular exercise. The more you exercise the more the greater is the drop in the raised cholesterol level.
Cecelia Marble Profile
Cecelia Marble answered
Cholesterol is a lipid, a type of fat found in the body. Having high "bad" cholesterol means you have too much LDL in your blood. LDL is low-density lipoprotein, or "bad" cholesterol.
Too much cholesterol in the blood, or high cholesterol, can be serious. People with high cholesterol are at risk of getting heart disease. This can lead to a heart attack or stroke.
Only about 20% of cholesterol comes from the foods you eat. The other 80% is made by your body. Things such as age and family health history affect how much cholesterol your body makes.
Cholesterol levels tend to rise as you get older. Unfortunately, there are usually no signs that you have high cholesterol. But it can be detected with a blood test. These tests can also help your doctor predict what your risk for heart disease may be.

Answer Question