How do I quit smoking cigarettes? Advice?

8

Janis Haskell Profile
Janis Haskell answered

I was able to finally quit about 25 years ago using the patch.  I didn't step down to the smaller ones they sell; just cut them in half and then quarters until I was comfortable with none. (It was cheaper that way and more adjustable to my own needs.)  It wasn't easy, but well worth it.

Lard Ass Profile
Lard Ass answered

View smoking as a job, which actually, it kinda is...and you're not getting paid to do it....put them down and don't go back (works, I did it many years ago)

You can try many of the different smoking cessation tools available, patches, gums, chantix.

Find something else to do with your hands, write, color...etc.

You must be ready mentally to quit. Once you're ready, truly ready, it's not as hard as you think it is, drink plenty of water, invest in a pack of gum, one day at a time...when if you get a craving, take a walk, do some exercise, or find something creative to do. Good luck!

Virginia Lou Profile
Virginia Lou answered

Dear Aldrich,

I don't actually have any suggestions to add to your other answers, I just want to congratulate you and encourage you. You are only seventeen (oops, nineteen!) and you have your whole life in front of you...

Also as you find your way through this, do keep in mind that smoking is not only physically addictive but a stress reliever, too. And your life has had plenty of stress lately...I mention that to encourage you just to be very kind and patient with yourself.

AnnNettie Paradise Profile

The time has come for you to “be courageous and act.”

Set a date. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services recommends that once you have decided to quit, the first day of your life free from cigarettes should be within two weeks. That way your motivation will stay high. Mark the day on your calendar, tell your friends, and stick to the date even if your circumstances change.

Make a “quit card.” It might contain the following information, plus anything else that may strengthen your motivation:

● Your reasons for quitting

● Phone numbers of people to call when you feel you may cave in

Take your quit card with you at all times, and read it several times a day. Even after you quit, continue to review the card whenever you feel an urge to smoke.

Weaken the links proactively. Prior to your quit date, begin disrupting any habits linked to your smoking. For example, if you smoke as soon as you get up each morning, put off smoking for an hour or so. If you smoke during a meal or immediately afterward, break that routine. Avoid places where others smoke. And privately practice saying aloud: “No thanks. I’ve quit smoking.” Such steps will do more than prepare you for the day you quit. They will also remind you that soon you will be an ex-smoker.

Get set. As your quit date nears, stock up on oral substitutes: Carrot sticks, gum, nuts, and so on. Remind your friends and family of your quit date and how they can support you. Just before that day, dispose of ashtrays, lighters, and any booby traps—such as cigarettes lying around your home, in your car or pockets, or at your place of work. To be sure, it is harder to ask a friend for a cigarette or to buy a pack than to reach into a drawer for one!

A countless number of people have “broken up” with their onetime false, vicious friend, the cigarette. You can do it too! Better health and a great feeling of freedom await you.

Woof Woofy Profile
Woof Woofy answered

wish i could tell you.. But i came to the realization that ill be a smoker until i die.. BUT.. Im thinking about trying a vapor electronic substitute when i have enough money.  (it makes it even harder to quit if you enjoy it)

What are your thoughts on vaping? It may help. Just find a reliable online vape shop and make an order. Vaping has a lot of health benefits compared to smoking, it's an excellent way to quit smoking. Check out this best concentrate vaporizer and try to switch to vaping.

I tried everything to quit smoking. I started at age 13 and smoked until I was about 35. I tried cold Turkey, lozenges, patches, wellbutrin, and vapes but nothing worked. I decided that it was simply too hard to conquer the physical addiction to nicotine and the psychological addiction that comes with smoking. I decided I was going to continue to smoke whenever the hell I wanted but I was only going to smoke nicotine free cigarettes. I ordered a carton of nicotine free cigarettes off amazon and went through a carton or two. It took a minute to get used to the difference in flavor but I got used to it and continued to smoke my nicotine free cigarettes. Aftet about a month I noticed one day it was 3pm and I hadn't even had a cigarette. I was blown away! I wasnt even worried about it! If I wanted one I could still have it but I just didnt need it anymore. It wasnt even hard. To think all the years I tried to quit and it was literally super easy to do. I know it's not a conventional way to quit but it sure was the easiest. It's been three years now since my last smoke.

Anonymous